Linked to: Gluten – Free Wednesdays
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- ¼ cup +1 tsp. chocolate scented olive oil (+ more to garnish if desired)
- 9 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- Method: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the rime of a 10 inch spring form pan with 1 tsp. of the chocolate scented olive oil. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- Put the chocolate and ¼ cup of chocolate scented olive oil into the top of a double boiler (or in a heatproof bowl) and heat over (but not touching) about 1 inch of simmering water until melted. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a mixing bowl until light yellow in color. Whisk a little of the chocolate mixture into the egg yolk mixture to temper the eggs - this will keep the eggs from scrambling from the heat of the chocolate - then whisk in the rest of the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff peaks form and fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the cake is set, the top starts to crack and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, 24 to 28 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes, then remove sides of pan and allow to cool completely before slicing.
- To serve: Cut the cake into 10 pieces. Place a slice on a plate and drizzle with the chocolate scented olive oil and a dollop of whipped cream. The cake is best served at room temperature or slightly warmed.
- Chocolate scented olive oil is available from Queen Creek Olive Mill.